Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First two episodes of Familiar!

Familiar pg.1
Familiar pg.2
Familiar pg.3
familiar Pg.4

(CLICKING ON THE THUMBNAILS SHOULD TAKE YOU TO MY FLICKR SITE WHERE YOU CAN JUST CLICK ON "ALL SIZES" IN ORDER TO READ THE TINY FONT)


these are the first 2 two page episodes of "Familiar", my first attempt with a long term narrative in comics. I began this as an assignment for a class but it has since taken on a life of its own. I estimate that this specific story is going to take 6 more pages to finish (or three episodes) It was kind of a shock to the system at first, spending so much time thinking perfecting, considering dialogue when usually my single panel cartoons I can bang out super quick. there is a lot I'm hoping to improve in the upcoming issues. I was pretty unhappy with my own lettering and in the future I feel like I'll need to have the writing fit less awkwardly in each panel (this is partly due to me having to shrink the pages down when printing which I forgot would also make the speech bubbles smaller). there is a lot of smudges and drips that are a by-product of not being used to drawing so small, and the panel borders are clearly a nightmare, but overall my excitement about finishing this story far overshadows any frustrations I've had in making these comics. I'm really interested in hearing any opinions or constructive criticism.

3 comments:

  1. The narrative is really engaging. That fight with the moon, and those bro trees are hilarious. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I've tried long narrative comics I've given up mostly for those exact problems of lettering you mentioned. It's a bitch, and I think you've done pretty well with it considering it's your first time, along with panel size and allocation. I especially liked the way the second page was divided, and the panel with the mysterious figures watching through the bushes is awesome.
    I'm liking the mix of coloured/black linework and grey washes too, and the dialogue is really amusing and suits the style well.

    I feel kind of bad for not being "constructive" or anything, but I can't really think of much else to say other than I'm looking forward to seeing the next installments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! First in line for the print copy.

    ReplyDelete